Friday, June 4, 2010

Chapter 8

A/N: This is just a warning that updates will not be weekly and will be whenever I have a second to write. I am working with the cause Writing For Spencer, which is a cause that promotes the music by artist Spencer Bell and raises money for the University of Michigan's Adrenal Cancer Program. If you want to know more, I'll post a link on my profile. Also, don't forget to follow me on twitter @Jaspers_Cherry to find out when I'm updating!

Chapter 8

I sighed as I walked into the school, alone. Peter had dropped me off, promising that he would be back before I knew he was gone. The only problem with that was that the longing feeling was back in my chest. I didn't understand how Alice could go through every day with Jasper not being around and even when she went shopping for hours on end. There was no way that I could do that as well. That longing feeling hurt more than it had before since I had gone unwillingly from him.

"Who was that cute guy who dropped you off?" Jessica gushed as we all sat at our new regular table at lunch. Edward and Alice had joined in since the others had left and they were also the two people I was closest to. "He looks so hot."

I smiled at that, unable to deny her claim. He really was amazingly hot. "His name is Peter," I told them. "He's Jasper and Rosalie's half brother. He's here while on leave from the military." They all stared at me in shock. "What?"

"So, he's another foster kid?" Mike asked, looking annoyed. It wasn't a secret that he didn't really like any of the Cullens and this year was no different.

Alice giggled at that, receiving surprised looks from everyone. She usually didn't give her input around them unless it was something she was really passionate about. "Not even close," she told them. "Peter went to Military school all his life, even though he spent summers with us."

They all looked impressed at that. I guess that there were some things that could really impress the civilians of Forks. Then again, I had a feeling that not a lot of people from Forks went into the military or army. This would probably get the whole town talking, which I wasn't sure would be a good or bad thing. It would be interesting to see how they reacted when he came back to pick Alice and I up-Edward had brought his own car.

"I could never go to Military school," Jessica sighed. "Their uniforms are ugly, and they don't get to go shopping."

I snorted, trying to hold back my laughter. Peter would probably be offended if he heard what she'd said. Edward was just looking irritated at this conversation, glancing at me. Those glances made my heart pang in guilt as I continually caught them. I felt bad for the way I acted towards Edward, he was my first love and he would always have a place in my heart. The only problem was that he loved me more than I loved him. He just couldn't understand that and if he did, I had a feeling that we could be really good friends.

"Oh my god," Jessica whispered, staring behind Alice and I.

Turning around, I saw Jasper and Peter both walking towards us. I couldn't believe it, he was here. He was here at the school and god, did he look sexy. He lifted me up and sat down in my seat, placing me on his lap so we would be touching. There were looks from everyone in the cafeteria, but no one said anything about it. Seriously, he looked young enough to have just gotten out of military training so I wasn't too worried about it.

"Why are you here?" I asked, my hands on his arms that were wrapped around my waist.

He grinned at me as he explained, "Alice asked us to come. Jazz is here for an extended weekend so we thought we'd come say hi."

"Best present ever," I told him, smiling as I looked knowingly at Alice. Glancing over at Jasper, I could see that the positive emotions that Peter and I were putting off were having more of an impact than Edward's jealousy. "So, what are you guys going to do while we finish school?"

"I think we can find something," Jasper spoke up.

"That better not be illegal," Alice scolded, even though we both knew that it would be. "Mom and Dad would have your head if anything happened, not to mention you're a military man, Petey. They expect you to be the perfect little angel."

"Says the pixie," Peter retaliated, smirking at her.

I giggled as Mike stared at us and asked, "Bella, what's going on with you and Edward?" I glanced over at Edward, an awkward expression being exchanged between the two of us. "It's not unwanted or anything, but you've been ignoring him all day."

"It's nothing," I lied, looking down as I played with Peter's fingers. I really didn't know how to explain that we weren't together anymore. "I don't really want to talk about it right now."
The rest of that day wasn't too terrible after Peter and Jasper left, unless you count Edward cornering me in gym. I was in shock, not quite sure what was happening, but I was afraid of him. I had seen how obsessive he was when James came after me, but he just cared about me, didn't he? He just wanted to make sure that I wasn't hurt.

"What do you want?" I asked, trying to make myself sound more confident than I felt.

He stared at me before smiling that dazzling smile at me. "I just want to protect you, Bella," he whispered. "You forget that I can read minds. Peter just wants to use you and then drain you of your blood. He's not good to be around."

"But he-"

"It's all just an act, Love." Something was tugging at my mind to look away and that he was lying, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. "He just wants to hurt you. But I will be here for you no matter what, okay?"

I nodded, tears threatening to spill. I had known Edward longer than I knew Peter and he had only done what was best for me. I had let Peter in and knowing that he had lied to me, and just wanted to use me hurt more than I had ever felt before. It hurt me more than when James had bitten me and his venom was burning into my veins. He pulled me into his arms, holding me close as my tears slid down my cheeks. Peter had been so sweet and something in him called out to me. The others had even said that mates had the bond I felt with him. How could I have been so stupid to trust him so easily? He ate humans for God's sake.

"Sorry I've been so stupid," I whispered.

He ran his fingers through my hair. "You're not stupid, Love. He was just manipulating you." I nodded, clinging to his shirt. "It's okay. I'll always be here for you."

My phone began ringing, making Edward look surprised. He hadn't realized that I now had a cell phone and I don't think he realized that I would accept it so easily, especially when a lot of money was involved. I looked down to see that it was Alice, which confused me. I had been keeping more of a distance from her after what happened in Port Angeles, but I didn't expect her to actually get out of class to call me.

"Just let it go to voicemail," he whispered, making me nod. "Love, I'm so glad that we're better."

I nodded. It was great, but I couldn't help but feel that there was something wrong with Edward's explanation. Would Peter really betray me like that? Especially after the bond we both felt, that earth shattering pain I felt that made me want to curl up into a ball and die?
After school, I was walking out of the class, when I saw Alice waiting for me by the door. "You didn't answer your phone," she accused. "I had to talk to you."

"About what?" I demanded, whipping around to face her. "To talk to me about how Peter's just using me as some sort of toy? About how he just wants me for sustenance?"
She sighed in exasperation at that, which was confusing. "You know that stupid vampire series you've been reading?"

"It's called Vampire Academy and it's not stupid," I defended, earning an eye-roll from her. "What about it?"

"Those vampires, they can control people using something called compulsion." So what if the characters could use compulsion? She came closer so that she could whisper and we wouldn't be overheard by those around us. "We can do it too. You call it dazzling."


Was she seriously trying to tell me that Edward was using some sort of compulsion on me? That was insane, he wouldn't do that.

"But Peter..."

"Peter loves you more than anything." I was so confused, I didn't know what to believe anymore. "You know it, Bella. You've known it since you met him in Texas when you were five."

My eyes widened as I stared at her in shock. "Alice, what are you talking about?"

"Uh...nothing?" Yah, I didn't believe it. "Peter and Jazz are going to kill me."

So I knew Peter when I was five? Why didn't I remember meeting him? Better yet, why didn't he ever say anything to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment