Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chapter 3

Peter's POV


"And why did we have to come out here?" I questioned the little pixie as we walked through the trees. 


I loved the little pixie as my sister, but some times, she was annoying as hell. She had seen something in the future, probably the same shit I felt, but unlike me she decided to act on it. My power wasn't seeing the future like her's, but I knew shit--loved annoying the shit out of Jasper with it as well. I knew that I had to go see my brother, but I didn't know what it was; just that it would be a very good thing. I also knew that my mate had to do something with the rest of my brother's coven so we could be together.


That bastard, Edward, was about two seconds from be torn to shreds and lit on fire. If he placed one hand on my mate, I wouldn't have second thoughts of it either. He had no idea what I was capable of, probably no idea what Jasper was capable of either. Spending years in the wars down South wasn't something you just forgot and, though it was rare, we learned to protect our mates if we found them there. There was no fucking way around forgetting those things, especially with the scars we had covering our bodies.


"Because, Bella needs to blow off steam at Edward," the pixie answered. "Jasper's not letting him anywhere near Bella. Just relax and try an animal." I rolled my eyes. That woman loved to try to get me on their diet. "Bella's going to be stubborn and want to convert you when she's changed."


I smirked at that. "Then I'll wait until she's changed."


The little pixie started giggling, making me raise an eyebrow. After all my years as a vampire, I was positive that we couldn't get high, but with her, I wasn't so sure. Maybe she was high when she turned?


"I was not," she snapped at me. "Edward's offended because Bella knows dirty jokes." I just grinned, she was perfect for me if she knew shit like that. "You're perfect for each other now that she's showing who she really is."

"Hey, Pixie?" I asked. "What-"


"You didn't hurt her." Damn pixie knew that I was going to ask what happened while I was protecting my mate.


When that shit happens to both Jasper and I, it's a natural reaction. We let out our beasts, letting them do the protecting. There's no memory or anything of that when it happens, though every once in a while there's some images that we can remember. I don't even remember the last time I let the beast in me out, it had been so long since I had someone who I felt needed to be protected.


"You just warned Jasper after you saw her scar," she told me. "When Bella tried to go to the kitchen, you grabbed her and were protecting her from everyone. You were starting to come back, when Edward tried to get to Bella and you pinned him up against the wall." I nodded, remembering that I was staring at my mate before it all went dark again. "Jasper got Bella to tell you to let Edward down. You made sure that she wasn't hurt and then-"


"I remember after that, thanks." I couldn't help but smirk. That shit Jasper did was truly amazing. He knew that I wouldn't be able to hurt my mate even if she was going against me by giving me an order. Then again, she didn't know any better. "So, how-"


"We can go back soon. Just wait." Damn Pixie. "Oh come on, Petey, you know you love me. I'm your sister after all."

I just rolled my eyes, getting a playful smack from her. I grinned, letting her run ahead of me as I trudged slower through the forest. She wasn't far enough that I was out of her sight or hearing though, just in case I got the idea to run back to my mate. Yeah, that wasn't going to happen until her plan was finished with. This was the exact reason why I didn't want to go with her in the first place. Pixie bitch always had an ulterior motive.


"Hey, Peter?" she asked after we were half-way to Canada. "Want to head back?"

Pixie Bitch was trying to play games? No way in hell was I going to let this slide. I would let Jasper deal with her, though, while I got comfortable with my mate. The pull that I had been feeling was becoming less stretched the closer I got to their house. I had never felt anything like this before and I had a feeling that she hadn't either. With vampires, the pull to your mate is so strong that it can't be broken. The pull that she feels to that bastard Edward is just him playing some half-ass game with her as his pet.

"Alice brought you back?" Jasper laughed. "How did the hunt go?"

"Your damn wife was trying to fucking play games with me," I stated, glaring at him. "Where is she?"


I could hear her laughter before my brother could say anything. I ran up the stairs to find her playing some game with Emmett; I wasn't one for video games, but I knew what they were at least. It made me smile to see her enjoying herself and laughing.


Emmett looked over and nodded towards me, which I returned. I walked over and scooped my mate up, getting a squeal out of her before she realized what was going on and giggled, kissing my nose. I couldn't believe how amazing she was; why didn't I grab her when we first met down in Texas.


I was sitting in the park after dark, watching the fireworks with Charlotte while we laughed at the humans. We weren't quite sure why they would set off these contraptions, but they were entertaining, even though they hurt our ears like fucking hell. The humans were even more fun to watch and it made me forget that I knew shit.


All of a sudden, it's like the noise and lights went out as I saw this little five year old girl crying behind a bush. I stood up, ignoring Charlotte's protests as I walked over to her and bent down. She had the most wonderful scent I had ever smelled, though it wasn't one that I would ever attempt to try. She had brown hair that was in pigtails and she wore a very cute red and white plaid dress with little bows on the shoulders and watermelons on it. She was barefoot though, so I was worried that she may have run off and gotten lost playing on her own.


"Excuse me?" She jumped in surprise and looked up at me with her huge, deep brown eyes. "Are you lost?" She nodded, tears running down her face. "Don't cry, little one." I reached up and wiped away all her tears, smiling lightly at her. "All better?" She nodded again, staring up at me. "I'm Peter. What's your name?"


"I-Izzy," she whispered. "M-Mommy says I'm not s'posed to talk to stwangews."


I smiled at her. "Well, did your mommy say anything about soldiers?" She shook her head. "We're like cops. We protect everyone from bad people."


"Wow," she breathed, awe in her voice. "I wanna be a sol-sol..."

"Soldier," I finished, making her nod. "Maybe when you get bigger."



She smiled at me, getting a smile in reply from me. "My daddy's a cop," she told me. "He's not hewe though. Him and Mommy had a fight."


"Want to go find your mommy?"


She nodded and I picked her up, swinging her onto my shoulders. I had never felt such a pull to a human before, it was a little unnerving to be so attached to some small human child. I may have been a human before I was cursed for eternity, but I hadn't been around them much and only fed from those who had evil intentions. This little girl, who I had a strange bond with even though I had only just met her.


"Bella," I heard a woman call. "Oh thank god." The woman ran over as I flipped Bella off my shoulders and onto the ground, getting a giggle from her. "I told you not to run off." She looked up at me. "Thank you so much for finding her."


"No problem, ma'am," I assured her. "It was my pleasure to help. I can't resist a pretty girl in trouble." The little girl giggled as I smiled down at her. "Now, you be good and no more running away, okay?"


"Kay Petey," she answered, making me growl a little as I began tickling her. "Stop!"

"How can I ever thank you?" the child's mother asked.



I shook my head, assuring her, "It was no trouble at all. I should be getting back to my wife though."


As I walked away, I could hear the child's voice saying, "He was a soldiew, Mommy. Did you know they pwotect us from bad people like Daddy does? I wanna be a soldiew when I'm big like Petey."

"Peter?" I looked down at my mate to see her confused face. "Where did you go? You've been staring off into space for a little bit."


I shook my head, smiling. "Nothing," I answered. "Just remembering a little girl I met a long time ago."


She nodded and went back to her game, even though now she was sitting on my lap. She didn't remember, but I would always remember that first day I met her at the park. I couldn't take her from her mother at that young age, I would have had to wait until she was older. Charlotte realized what was going on and took me away from there, away from my mate to try and make me forget. Of course, that didn't work and after years of trying, she finally gave up and left me.


That had been part of the reason I had come to see Jasper. I had come to ask for his help in finding my mate and making sure that she was safe. Of course, they had helped me more than they realized. I didn't have to explain what I was or see her in fear of me. She was already considered a little sister to my own brother so that made things a million times better.


Now, if only I could get rid of that bastard and take my Izzy away from here forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment